Upcoming Events

New Mexico Farm & Ranch Museum CAPA Show
August 19, 2010 - December 15, 2010
4100 Dripping Springs Road
Las Cruces, New Mexico

Monday, April 26, 2010

I was put on earth as I am

"I was put on this earth as I am. 
I was born with my own special blessings.  
I will let them shine and not give a dam.  
I was put on this earth as I am."

I head these lyrics from a a recent movie I watch.  It is an amazing song.  It reminded me of an experience I had in college.  There was this man and woman who would appear in the spring on campus.  They would come on campus to preach at students as we came and went to class.  We had a nick name for him but I won't mention it here.  Well let just call him Preacher Pete.  

Preacher Pete would stand on a bench and yeah at male students saying they were whore mongers.  To the female students he would call them whores.  If one of us walked by wearing our Greek letters he would say we were living in orgy filled house.  Needless to say no one took him serious or gave him attention.  It only got women to flash him and others to flip him off.

Okay so what am I getting at in telling you this story.  These words of the song at the beginning reminded me of how Preacher Pete made judgments of our lives without knowing anything about our lives.  He made judgments about our fraternities and sororities.  He was making judgments about whether or not we having sex. He did try to find out anything just accused us.

I still see that around in the world.  How many times do we see those television preachers say things about other people's lives without knowing them.  They make snap judgments about things they don't know anything about.  I remember reading a story about a preacher burning Harry Potter books because they were not good.  When asked what about the books he did not like he stated he had not read them.  I read that and wondered how can he condemn something he knows nothing about. 

There are people who condemn someone's personal life but they don't know what really is going on.  I know in my own life I have had people assume things about my personal life that were no where near true.  Had they been true man I would have amazing things to write about and I would be busy all the time. 

So I guess I am wondering why can't people realize that judging others doesn't help anyone?




No comments:

Post a Comment