Upcoming Events

New Mexico Farm & Ranch Museum CAPA Show
August 19, 2010 - December 15, 2010
4100 Dripping Springs Road
Las Cruces, New Mexico

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Are you Masculine?


I know it has been a while since I post something.  I have been having writers block.  Well till today.  I get Netflicks all the time.  I sometimes will get on and add things to my list and forget what I was thinking when I add them.  Well I got one yesterday and throw it in the DVD player tonight.  The DVD is called The Butch Factor.

I would first off say if you have not seen it check it out it is interesting.  The point of the documentary is what is masculine in the gay culture.  I know for me I sometimes wonder when I see posting on the different websites.  How many times have you seen or heard someone say they want "straight acting" men.  First I personally would say that a gay man who says he wants a straight acting man means he would like a man who chases women and wants to play with female anatomy. Wants to be around men only as a buddy.  Okay I know I am pushing it but I think you get the point.  The reality they are asking for is a man who is masculine.  Why they can't say it in those words I don't know. 

Getting back to my point about this documentary was what is masculinity?  I think that for both straight and gay men this question is one that we all struggle with.  Men who are straight want to be as masculine as possible so that people don't see them as gay.  For some gay men they want to be masculine or butch so that they won't have to deal with prejudices of the culture in some places.  The reality is that there is no clear cut definition of what is masculine.  There are features of a masculine man that we might agree on but probably not. 

I mean for some back in the 50's or 60's was the Marlboro Man who was on the back of a horse and the rough and tough guy.  I don't know if I could agree with that one.  For some masculine is the big football player big sports nut.  Well I know some gay guys who are more sports nuts than me.  They have also played in high school or college.  For some masculine is the guy who doesn't cry when some thing sad or hurts.  They suck it up and that is a man.  Well denying your feelings does not make you anymore of a man than it does not.

So what is the answer to the question of what makes a man masculine?  Well I think it is as elusive as trying to define beauty or love.  Beauty for me is different from yours.  Same with the idea of love.  The spectrum of masculinity is wide and broad.  I think it is more important that we allow the differences to be there and accepted.  To realize that each man in the world is different and unique.  To remember that each of us views and defines masculine differently.  No one is right and no one is wrong.  Each man is masculine in his own way.

No comments:

Post a Comment