Upcoming Events

New Mexico Farm & Ranch Museum CAPA Show
August 19, 2010 - December 15, 2010
4100 Dripping Springs Road
Las Cruces, New Mexico

Monday, May 17, 2010

What does color or gender mean?

I think that it is a powerful comment. How many times do I hear comments from others that they know what it is like to be Hispanic and they are not Hispanic. I have heard straight people say they don’t understand gay people. Well of course they don’t understand them because they see the world through heterosexual eyes while gay people see the world through the gay eyes.
I see the world through Hispanic eyes and I say Hispanic because that is what I choose. I don’t choose Latino or Chicano or any other term. I know that I have been told in the past I have been told that I am Latino but I don’t see it that way. Just because my skin is a certain color doesn’t mean that I am the label that someone says I should be.
Okay so what does that have to do with the beginning of this blog. Any time someone who is not of the particular ethic group or other marginalized group says they know what that particular group feels they don’t. They might understand it through their mind but they truly don’t know what it is like to be Gay, African-American, Hispanic, Latino, Lesbian, Native American, or any other group. We need to respect them in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment